Even after a filling Memorial Day BBQ—juicy, grilled burgers, a heap of potato salad, and (let’s be honest) a second helping of macaroni and cheese—we all inevitably have a hankering for a little dessert.
Blogger Shaheen Khan of Lows to Luxe has a confection to satisfy that craving for just a nibble of something sweet: a red, white and blue parfait. Layers of Angel Food Cake, berries and Cool Whip make for a patriotic presentation. The fluffy and airy Angel Food Cake is a lighter alternative to the yellow or white cakes often used in parfait desserts.
To serve her parfaits, Shaheen used stemless wine glasses. (We also love her suggestion to use small Mason jars for a rustic vibe.) But this recipe can be prepared in a large glass bowl or trifle dish and then served individually. Regardless of your container size or style, you want the dish to be clear so guests can see the red, white and blue layers.
Whether you’re a busy hostess or a potluck guest, this easy-to-prepare parfait is a perfect way to finish your Memorial Day feast.
Memorial Day Parfait
Yields 8 servings
1 pre-made Angel Food cake (available in the bakery of your grocery store)
5 cups fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
1 6-ounce container fresh blueberries, washed
1 12-ounce container Cool Whip Original Whipped Topping
1. Using a serrated knife, slice Angel Food Cake into 1-inch bite-sized cubes.
2. To assemble your parfait, line the bottom of your container with a layer of Angel Food cake cubes.
3. Spoon a layer of Cool Whip over the Angel Food cake.
4. Add a layer of strawberries.
5. Spread a layer of Cool Whip over the strawberries.
6. Sprinkle a layer of blueberries over the Cool Whip.
7. Repeat the layers, finishing with a dollop of Cool Whip. Garnish with whole strawberries.
8. Cover container with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.