Haven’t we all daydreamed about being our own boss, at the helm of a wildly successful company? Stepping out of your chauffeured company car, gliding up to your glass-walled penthouse office. No cubicle mate. No tedious company memos. No communal fridge crammed with Post-It covered yogurts for you.
One such mogul in the making is Sara Azani, founder of the fashion blog Style MBA. After receiving her bachelor’s degree, Azani earned her master’s in business and marketing from the University of Maryland. Azani then obtained her real estate license, was awarded “Rookie of the Year” at her real estate agency and sold more than $25 million in homes. She’d been in the business two years.
As if that wasn’t enough, in 2009, while balancing her booming career in the real estate sector, Azani launched her blog. Style MBA is packed with subtly sexy, edgy yet chic ensembles: eyelet-trimmed shorts, lace-up mini-dresses, and slinky blouses worn with skinny jeans. Over time, Azani added new features like city guides, beauty reviews and home decor inspiration. She also opened a brand consulting division under the Style MBA umbrella to advise bloggers and brands on their digital design and social media strategies.
After six years of dedication and tireless work, Azani took Style MBA full time and achieved the dream of being her own boss.
We caught up with the budding entrepreneur to learn more about her off-duty life and what puts the style in Style MBA.
Who are your favorite fashion icons?
Diane von Furstenberg, Olivia Palermo and Jessica Alba. I love DVF for her classy, timeless pieces. I try to incorporate items in my own wardrobe that won’t go out of style. Olivia Palermo does a great job mixing highs and lows—pairing a Chloé bag with cute Converse sneakers is exactly what I love about her style, and I try to emulate that. Jessica Alba adds an element of edge and sex appeal to her outfits while keeping it classy, for instance, pairing a crop top and mid-length dress with an edgy biker jacket. Her style is modern and on-trend.
What are your top five style and grooming tips?
1. Get a garment steamer. I hate when new clothes arrive full of wrinkles. Having a steamer at home is more cost-effective than going to the cleaners every week.
2. Carry powder in your purse. I try to eliminate as much shine as possible when I first do my makeup. But by midday, I definitely need some touch-ups.
3. I cannot live without my eyelash curler! I like to heat it up a bit with a blowdryer to give it extra power. Just make sure you don’t burn yourself!
4. Invest in a classic handbag. I saved and saved for my first bag. I really got my return on the investment because it’s a well-made piece that I will have for years to come.
5. Always wear comfortable heels. You have to find brands you like that work for you and are comfortable enough to wear all day. Vince Camuto is that brand for me. I don’t have to compromise style for comfort.
What are you reading right now?
I’m reading Leave Your Mark by Aliza Licht. It’s a great read, especially for entrepreneurs like myself working in fashion.
What is on your playlist?
I love Taylor Swift and Sia. Those are my top two faves right now.
What is your summer beverage or cocktail to cool off with?
Cucumber Collins—refreshing and not too sweet.
Fast & Furious Fashion Quiz
Bikini or one-piece?
Neutral or red lip?
Beach or pool?
Red or white?
Body-con or boyfriend?
Skinnies or flares?
Night out or in?
Sweet or savory?
Instagram or Snapchat?
Why did you choose the Vince Camuto Annetta Mule?
I am really into mules and slip-ons right now. They’re so versatile and I can easily slip them on right before I leave the house. Of course, black goes with everything. For this look, I paired them with my favorite off-the-shoulder striped top and some black cutoffs. It’s a cool and edgy summer look. Next, I plan on pairing them with a white summer dress.